At The University of Texas at Dallas, our students and faculty have the chance to join Gamma Theta Upsilon. Gamma Theta Upsilon (GTU) is an international honor society in geography. Gamma Theta Upsilon was founded in 1928 and became a national organization in 1931. Members of GTU have met academic requirements and share a background and interest in geography. GTU chapter activities support geography knowledge and awareness.
Our faculty advisor is Dr. Daniel Griffith.
PRESIDENT: Adrianna Maberry
VICE PRESIDENT: Coming Soon!
SECRETARY: Coming Soon!
TREASURER: Coming Soon!
GTU’s Goals are:
- To further professional interest in Geography by affording a common organization for those interested in the field.
- To strengthen student and professional training through academic experiences in addition to those of the classroom and laboratory.
- To advance the status of Geography as a cultural and practical discipline for study and investigation.
- To encourage student research of high quality, and to promote an outlet for publication.
- To create and administer funds for furthering graduate study and/or research in the field of Geography.
Persons seeking membership must be initiated through an established chapter of Gamma Theta Upsilon. There are two classes of membership in GTU:
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.3 (on a 4.0 scale) in geography courses
- Rank in the top 35% of their class
- Have completed a minimum of 3 geography courses
- Have completed at least 3 semesters or 5 quarters of full-time college course work.
- Please note that regular members do not have to be currently enrolled, nor must they be geography majors.
Honorary membership is available only under extraordinary circumstances and upon approval by the Executive Committee for a person whom the committee feels has contributed to a marked advancement in any phase of geography. A chapter may apply directly to the Executive Committee to petition for honorary membership on behalf of an individual. Please note that honorary membership is reserved for those not eligible for regular membership.
For more information on how to become a lifelong member of GTU at UTD, contact us at UTDallasGIS@gmail.com.